arrow08Poison Prevention

City of Hays, KS > Departments > Fire Dept. > Kid Safety > Poision Prevention >

The following information was provided by the NFPA - Risk Watch & NFPA Kids


Each year in the United States, nearly 100 children die from poisoning, and more than 1 million are injured by poisonous substances.

Safety Tips:

Children should be taught never to accept medicine from anyone except a trusted adult and to tell a grown-up if they find medicine or any poisonous substance.
Post the nationwide Poison Control Center phone number, 1-800-222-1222, near all phones. Children should know who to call if they think someone has eaten poison, and there is no adult available.

Keep household cleaning products and medicines (including vitamins) in their original container locked up and out of children's sight and reach.

Install laboratory-listed carbon monoxide (CO) detectors inside your home to provide early warning of accumulating CO.

Have furnaces, water heaters and other fuel-burning appliances inspected and cleaned, if necessary, yearly by a professional.

Have your home tested for lead paint. Children can be poisoned by ingesting dust from lead paint.

Fire-Kids-arrow02Poison Prevention



Home | Business | Visitors | Residents |Government | Quick Links

Last Modified 03/21/13


 Website Design Contacts:  Jessi Jacobs | Chad Ruder