Billing Information

City Utility Billing

The City is divided into four areas for meter reading and billing purposes. Water meters are read on 28 or 35 day cycles. Bills will be processed and mailed the same week the meter was read. The bills are due 23 days later - that date will be printed on the bill. Customers who have their bills processed through an automatic bank withdrawal system should be sure to note the due date indicated on the bill.

Water Consumption

Water consumption, as indicated on the January to March bills, will be averaged to determine a "water use average" for both residential and business accounts. This average will be recalculated annually.

Meter Deposit

New customers are required to make a deposit. The deposit is $200 for residential customers and $300 for duplexes; and is refundable, with interest, after 24 months. (Provided you have maintained good credit.) Meter deposits are not transferable. If the customer is moving, it will be necessary to make a deposit for service at the new address. Any existing deposit funds will be used to pay off any outstanding balance at the previous address, and any money remaining will be refunded to the customer. Deposits are not transferable between customers (i.e. The name on the deposit cannot be changed).

Six Convenient Ways to Pay

There are several ways for customers to pay their City of Hays utility bills.

  • Automatic Bank Draft: Utility bills can be paid via a direct withdrawal from a bank account each month on the due date. Due dates vary from month to month and it is the customer's responsibility to confirm appropriate funds are available on the due date specified. To sign up for Automatic Bank Draft, customers can come to the City Clerk/Finance Office and complete an application (PDF) at:
    City Hall
    1507 Main Street
    Hays, KS 67601
    A voided check from the customer's bank account must accompany the application. If a customer wishes to cancel their Automatic Bank Draft they should notify the City Clerk/Finance Office at least 30 days prior to the cancellation date.
  • Website Self-Pay: The City of Hays offers a convenient online payment service. Customers can pay using their credit or debit card in privacy. Visit the "Pay Your Utility Bill" page and follow the instructions.
  • By Mail: Customers can mail the return stub, along with payment, in the envelope provided with the utility bill.
  • By Phone: Customers can pay bills by credit or debit card over the telephone. Please call 785-628-7300.
  • Drop Boxes: "Drop Boxes" are located at both of the Dillons grocery stores and on the southeast side of City Hall. There is also an alley drive-by drop box located on the south side of City Hall for customer convenience.
  • In Person: Customers can pay bills in the City Clerk/Finance Office at City Hall.

Charges & Fees

The due date of utility bills is printed on the statement. Payments must be received by the due date to avoid late fees. Payments received and processed after this date are considered past due and a 5% late charge will be assessed to the account.

Returned Checks

Checks or Automatic Bank Drafts returned for insufficient funds are subject to late penalties plus an additional $25 returned check fee.

Water Conservation Program

A ban is placed on all outside water usage during the period of June 1 to September 30 between the hours of noon and 7 p.m. It is unlawful to waste water in the City of Hays. The use of water for washing down buildings, sidewalks, and other hard-surfaced areas is prohibited unless a special permit from the City Clerk/Finance Office is obtained.

  • Newly Seeded Lawns: The City will issue a permit allowing watering during the hours of Noon and 7 p.m. for newly seeded lawns. Permits can be obtained at the City Clerk/Financial Office by completing an application.
  • Showerhead Exchange: To assist customers in conserving water, the City provides free and reduced cost low-flow showerheads to City of Hays customers. Simply bring your showerhead to the City Clerk/Finance Office to receive a new low-flow showerhead.
  • Rebate programs to help conserve water are offered through the Public Works Department, please call 785-628-7350 for more information.


In the case of a water service emergency, please contact the City Clerk/Finance Office at 785-628-7300. After hours or weekends, call the Hays Police Department at 785-625-1011. A service employee will be dispatched to attend to the emergency.

Contact Information

  • Billing questions call 785-628-7300
  • Trash pick-up days, recycling, yard waste, special refuse collection call 785-628-7350