Stormwater Division

What is Stormwater

Stormwater comes from rainfall and snow melt.  Urban development, along with the addition of impervious surface, changes the natural soil infiltration and flow of this water. This additional runoff can increase flooding, carry pollutants to our rivers and streams, cause fish/aquatic life loss, and increase soil erosion.  The Stormwater that leaves the City of Hays enters Big Creek, where it eventually flows into the Smoky Hill River on its way to Kanapolis Reservoir.

Why We Manage Stormwater

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, created in 1972 by the Clean Water Act (CWA), helps address water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants to waters of the United States.  The City of Hays is a Phase II regulated municipality (more than 10,000, less than 100,000 people) with oversight from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).

Things We Do To Manage Stormwater

In an effort to comply with our annual Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit, issued by KDHE, the City of Hays implements various programs and strategies designed to manage the quantity and increase the quality of our Stormwater.  These areas of focus are generally grouped into 6 main categories called Minimum Control Measures (MCMs).  These are:

  1. Public Education and Outreach
  2. Public Involvement and Participation
  3. Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
  4. Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
  5. Post Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment Projects
  6. Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations

How do we fund our Stormwater Management

On July 1, 2011 the Stormwater Utility Fund was created.  This fund provides a budget for the City of Hays Stormwater Division, provides income for the improvement and maintenance of our storm sewer system, and funds Stormwater Capital Improvement Projects.  Click here for Stormwater Utility Fee Information.

Report A Concern

Effectively managing the Stormwater that leaves our City requires a cooperation among us all.  Questions, general Stormwater related concerns, and the reporting of illicit discharges can be reported by calling 785-628-7350, or by clicking here.