Smart Irrigation Controller Rebate
2024 Smart Irrigation Controller Rebate
The smart irrigation controller rebate program offers up to $100.00 on the purchase of a WaterSense labeled smart irrigation controller for landscapes. Rebate amount will not exceed the actual purchase price of a smart irrigation controller, and excludes taxes and costs of installation.
A list of qualifying smart controllers can be found here:
Rebate Eligibility Requirements:
- Rebates will be given only for WaterSense labeled smart irrigation controllers. NOTE: Some controllers are only considered smart controllers when coupled with a sensor or weather station. If you choose one of these models, be sure to purchase and install both the controller and the specified sensor or weather station.
- The smart controller must be purchased new at retail price on or after January 1, 2024. Rebates will not be issued retroactively for smart controllers purchased before January 1, 2024.
- The smart controller must be installed at a location served by the City of Hays Department of Water Resources. Rebates are only available for the replacement of existing landscape irrigation controllers. No rebates are available for newly installed systems.
- An on-site inspection by a representative of the Department of Water Resources may be required to verify installation before a rebate is paid.
- A limit of 5 qualifying devices per active City of Hays water account, mixed or matched, will be considered.
- Purchase and install your new smart controller. Verify that the controller is WaterSense labeled and meets all rebate eligibility requirements.
- Complete the rebate form and attach the sales receipt showing the model of the controller and necessary components (i.e. sensors, weather station, etc.) and date of purchase. Return to the Department of Water Resources, City Hall Finance Office, or firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
- A representative of the Department of Water Resources may contact you and verify installation of the smart controller.
- Allow four weeks from the date of submission to receive your rebate check. Please be advised that IRS regulations require a 1099-MISC be sent to any person receiving a rebate greater than $600, in which case a W9 form will need to be submitted at the time of payment.
This program provides financial assistance to customers wishing to purchase smart irrigation controllers for their home or business. The City of Hays does not endorse or recommend specific brands, products or dealers. Selection and installation of the controller is the sole responsibility of the applicant, as is determination of the adequacy and compatibility of their existing irrigation system. The City assumes no responsibility for any damage that may occur to an applicant’s property as a result of participation in this rebate program. Due to circumstances beyond its control, the City cannot guarantee that the installation of the smart controller will result in lower utility costs.